Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Iron Curtain & Ironman: It's Almost Here!

Hola todos,

I know you've missed #InfluencerTina and this blog, but I've renewed my passport and booked a flight out of the country. It's time. She's back.

A few months ago, my dad signed up for an Ironman triathlon in Austria. Of course, I had to go to cheer him on. And I figured I could check a few more countries off my list while I'm over there! This will be a very Central Europe-focused trip, and I am pumped. I've never been to this region of the world, and there is so much world history held in the cities I'll be visiting. I'm traveling solo until Austria, where I will meet up with my folks. We'll do the last week of the trip together.

!!! (general, unintelligible excitement) [And yes, my general disclaimer applies: I am frequently excited about travel and may overdo it on the exclamation marks. Just know that I am trying to limit their usage...]

***

So, where am I going?

First stop: Amsterdam (Netherlands).

Okay, okay, I know what you're saying: "Wait a second, that isn't Central Europe!?"

I know. But it was cheaper to fly to Prague with a built-in layover in Amsterdam than to fly straight to Prague... So stopping over there was a no-brainer. I'll be in Amsterdam for 27 hours--just enough time to see a little bit of everything and wish I could stay longer. I just finished a great book on the history of Amsterdam (Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City by Russell Shorto), and there is going to be so much to dive into there. From how the city was built on marsh land through ingenious engineering, to the various European powers that have laid claim to the city, to the Nazi occupation and Anne Frank's house, the city's cobblestone streets and bridges have seen so much world history!

Second stop: Prague (Czech Republic).

I'll be in Prague for two full days, and I hope I can scratch the surface. There are stunning churches and castles begging to be toured. There are a ton of statues throughout the city asking to be found. And the Bohemian region produces wine that needs to be tasted. There are also quite a lot of viewpoints throughout the city with amazing views of Prague.

Bonus stop: Brno (Czech Republic).

This will be a baby stop between Prague and Bratislava. It's (more or less) on the way, and there are two unique spots I'll stop by: 1. the Augustinian Abbey of St. Thomas, which is where Gregor Mendel formulated the laws of inheritance (high school biology, anyone?) and 2. a church in the city rings its "noon" bells at 11 a.m. Random, but quirky! It will also hopefully a bit of a smaller-town feel in which to casually explore and "feel" out Czech life.

Third stop: Bratislava (Slovakia).

This will be a 26-hour whirlwind in which I plan on doing two walking tours (one basic introductory tour and one focused on the impacts of World War II and communism) and, hopefully, see more castles and churches. (I'm sensing a pattern here...) My hostel has free laundry machines, so I will probably also be doing a load of wash. (Hey, these things are important to think about in advance!)

Fourth stop: Budapest (Hungary).

Another longer stop (two full days) will hopefully give me enough time to see both the Buda and Pest "sides" of the city. Yes, more churches and castles. But also a greater focus on the city's architecture (their Parliament building is stunning) and a few museums (which, you may have noticed, I will have otherwise generally avoided thus far in the trip). And my list of "must-try" Hungarian foods is too long for the handful of meals I'll be eating while there, so we'll see how I negotiate that with my stomach.

Fifth stop: Klagenfurt (Austria).

Also called Klagenfurt am Wörthersee. (How do I pronounce that? Your guess is as good as mine.) This seems like a random small town to go to in Austria, but this is where the race will be held! I will meet up with parents here and explore a bit, but the main event is my dad's Ironman race. (I can't forget that! It's the impetus for this trip!) We'll be able to see Klagenfurt while we spectate the all-day affair, and it will be a much more casual, calm tourism. And, I am sure I will appreciate the chance to catch my breath for a bit.

Sixth stop: Vienna (Austria).

We'll drive up to Vienna, which is my final stop. We have three full days to see all that city has to offer, including an independent micronation, the Hapsburg treasury and incredible historical treasures, and the Spanish Riding School. (Wait, "Spanish" riding school in Austria? Yes-- I guess you'll just have to check back in a few weeks for that post!)

*Bonus stop: Aaand, there will be a surprise extended layover on the way back to the States! Stay tuned for updates.

I hope you are as excited as I am. My goal is to post every day while I am traveling, so check back regularly for updates ("Where in the World is Tina Today?" just doesn't have the same ring as "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?") and pictures galore.

Besos,

Tina the ExploraDora

No comments:

Post a Comment